What do the following test reports indicate?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Received my test results from my doctor that has my herpes test reading positive for Igg but negative for reference range it has no numbers to help explain this to me and the doctor keeps saying they can not tell me anything without a outbreak. My friend is worried about sexual contact even with a condom because of reading about shedding but i have no kind of symptoms or anything.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Herpes IgG positive not indicates active infection

Detailed Answer:

Herpes simplex infection is of two types, caused by two different viruses. HSV 1 and 2. HSV 1 is not a STD. Nearly 40-50%of any population would be affected by this type whereas HSV 2 is STD. Moreover presence of IgG antibodies indicates either an active infection or a past infection.
In the absence of any symptoms not to give importance to the presence of IgG antibodies. Separate tests are available for HSV 1 and 2 infection. Get clarified with further test and convince your boyfriend.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy