What do the following test reports indicate?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Diabetes
Question: Please review the reports of my mother who is having sugar for quite long time as she is taking Dianotm-M often but sometimes gets skipped, please provide the correct line of treatment along with the precautions to food/beverages.

She is having pain in bones & urination trouble at night at times urine does not pass.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Mr. XXXXXXX

After going through your question and test reports of your mother there is -
1) Poorly controlled blood sugar levels.
2) Possibility of urinary infection.
3) There is need for evaluation of bone pain.

I would like to advise:

1) Increase the dose of Tab Dianorm M to twice a day depending upon her heart and kidney status after discussing with her doctor.

2) Diet:
Clories:
- Restrict calorie intake depending upon her BMI (Body Mass Index).
- Avoid sugar, food containing empty calories (food containing only calories and no other nutrients like soft drinks.
- Avoid potatoes and other roots.
- She can eat citrus fruits like orange, sweet lemon or other fruits like 1 cup pieces of papaya, pineapple, water melon, apple daily.
- Avoid fruit juices.
- Take adequate amount of salad containing tomatoes, cucumber, green leafy vegetables daily.
- Use green leafy vegetables in soup or salad.
- You can use artificial sweeteners up to certain extent.
Fat intake:
- Restrict fat (all types of oil, butter, ghee) intake to less than 20 to 25 gram per day.
- Use combination of different types of vegetable oils.
- Avoid intake of saturated fat like coconut oil, pam oil, vanaspati ghee, regular butter.
Proteins:
- Take adequate amount of pulses, soybean, rajama.
- She can take 1 cup of Cow milk without cream daily.
- She can take daily one egg white (no yellow bulk).
- She can have Fish once or twice a week, 2 to 3 piece of chicken once in a week avoid red meat like lamb.
- Restrict rise intake to minimum.

3) Exercise: Regular moderate degree of physical exercise is advisable for her depending upon her heart status and changes of osteoarthritis if any. You should consult her regular doctor for same.

4) Start Tablet containing statin (cholesterol lowering medicine) considering her age and diabetes.

5) Investigations for evaluating diabetes complications and bone pain:
- HbA1c
- Lipid Profile.
- Recheck fasting and PP 3 to 4 weeks after modifying the dose of antidiabetic medicine.
- Renal function test.
- Liver Function test.
- T3, T4, TSH.
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- ECG and if required 2DEcho of heart to know current heart status.
- Ultrasonography of abdomen and pelvis to know kidney status, presence of any significant post void urine, changes of urinary infection.

6) Clinical examination -
- Blood pressure.
- Examination for bone pain.
- Diabetic foot examination.
- Fundoscopy for diabetic retinopathy evaluation.

7) There may be need for oral antibiotic for urinary infection after clinical evaluation.

Hope I have answered your question.
I will be happy to answer your future questions.

Dr. Abhay Mali,
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 10 minutes later
Yes she has urine infection problem, could you please advice whether taking Dianorm-M twice and in long run may cause any side effects or not.

Also please advice medicine for urine infection as per the attached reports earlier.

Thanks.
Also suggest whether the sugar levels are high due to gap in medicine as she normally skips and take on alternate days.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:

Definitely skipping antidiabetic medicines leads to uncontrolled blood sugar levels.

If your mother is taking Tab Dianorm M 1 tab alternate day I will advise her to take it once daily and add Tab Metformin 1gm daily considering normal kidney and heart function.
ie. Tab Dianorm M 1--0--0
Tab Gluconorm SR 1gm (Metformin 1gm) 0--0--1.

Side effects of these antidiabetic medicines are negligent as compared to complications due to high blood sugar levels.

For urine infection take Tab containing Cefixime 200 mg two times a day for 7 days.

If she has repeated urinary infection in that case there is a need for urine culture sensitivity testing along with ultrasonography.

Hope this helps you.
Please close the question and rate the answer.
Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.