What do the following pelvic scan and blood test results indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor

I am 45 years old female. I have one child of of 14 years of age through C-section in 2002.
I have been menstruating since age of 14. All these years, I never had even one incidence of missed period or any irregularity. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid when my son was of 2 years of age. I don’t have any other medical conditions and I am not on any medication except for Eltroxin 175 mcg daily.

I had my last menstrual cycle on 26th XXXXXXX 2017 with normal flow. Usually, I get in 25 days gap. However, I have not got my periods till today. I have taken urine and blood tests and got negative on pregnancy. Also, my doctor suggested for Pelvic scan today and below are the results

•     Endometrial thickness – 16 mm
•     Bilateral ovarian cysts measuring 30 x 29 mm and 29 x 26 mm noted

My gynaec suggested to take Meprate 10 mg twice daily for 5 days and stop. She mentioned periods will start within a week

Below are my questions.

1.     I am not in favor of inducing period with Meprate. Should I wait to get period whenever it is? How long can I wait?
2.     If I take Meprate, do I need to take it every month to induce menses?
3.     What are the alternative options without medicines.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perimenopausal period

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Delayed and prolonged interval of the periods is normal in the perimenopausal age, as in your case.

1. Since the endometrial thickness is 16 mm, chances are high that the spontaneous periods will start within 7-10 days. One can wait up to 2 months after the last menstrual period for the spontaneous periods to occur.

2. No, meprate taken once does not require to be taken repeatedly to induce periods.

3. You can wait for the periods to occur spontaneously. No medication is required in perimenopausal prolongation of menstrual cycle.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Feel free to ask further.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee