• question-icon

What do the following liver test reports indicate?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hello

I wanted to ask a question in your specific field. I do suffer from other allergies but have never been tested for bee and wasp stings. After being stung by a bee or wasp ( i think it was a bee ) the area that was stung went from a red and painful area to a very swollen 1/4 moon shapped swelling, 3 weeks after the initial sting. There has never been any autoimmune diseases in out family. After getting edema 5 weeks after sting, i went on some herbal Carusos Fluid Away to help with selling in legs. Liver test levels are AST 427 and ALT 375. GGT 74. I am going to a rheumatologist today to discuss my auto immune and liver.

My main question is can a bee sting have caused the autoimmune issue in the muscles. I have read a few studies on it and wanted to consult a professional.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Raised liver enzymes

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Anything even a new sting can lead to an allergic reaction but your raised liver enzymes are not due to any allergic reaction.
Any reaction after 5 weeks is possibly not due to a bee sting. Either it will cause a sudden localised or a generalised swelling. The swelling of legs can be due to some liver disease.
There can be an autoimmune disease of muscles which can be triggered by a bee sting.
My advice is you should get an ultrasound abdomen done and visit a physician.
From the complaints it seems to be some other systemic disease rather than a reaction to a bee sting.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 18 minutes later
Hello

Thank you for your reply
I have had an ultrasound so i thought i would show you the results

-Abnormal Liver Function Test
-The liver shows generalised increase in parenchymal echogenicity, non-specific -but likely reflects fatty infiltration. The gallbladder shows no calcius within its -lumen. Areas of the ring-down artefact from the gallblader wall at the gastric -fundus could reflect tiny polyps or cholesterolosis. There is no abnormal dilation -of the biliary tree. The spleen has been measured at 12cm in span, no focal -lesion is identified.
-The kidneys do show mild prominence of the renal collecting system and the -pelvis bilaterally. No obstructive lesion has been demonstrated. The urinary -blader is unrearkable. No free fluid in the abdomen.

Thank you for answering the question it was very helpful
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fatty liver

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
Your ultrasound report suggests liver disease and gall bladder disease. There are fatty changes seen in the liver and a mass seen in the gall bladder. It must be investigated further in detail and managed accordingly. You should consult a hepatologist for this.
The raised liver enzymes and swelling can be due to this only.
Avoid fatty foods and alcohol.
I hope my advise proves useful for you.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Hello

Thank you for the reply

I have been really watching my diet, with the sore throat and
swollen tonsils i have been having more soups and healthier food.
Having XXXXXXX before i was a bit worried that it was back again,
but although my tonsils are swollen they are not sore and i have
trouble swallowing as well.

Your advice is very helpful i really appreciate it.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fatty liver

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You are always welcome with any further questions.
It's my pleasure to help you.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist