What do the following cholesterol test reports indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was hoping someone could help me understand my blood work results. my total cholesterol is 199 my HDL cholesterol is 52 my triglycerides are 86 my LDL cholesterol is 130. the doctor didn't give me much explanation. I am a 37 year old male. also the only other number on my blood work that seems near the edge of the range was glucose at 99. are any of these numbers concerning and what is the status of my overall health using these values?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your blood lipid profile, I would explain that Total cholesterol/HDL or LDL/HDL ratio are more reliable indicators compared to isolated LDL or total cholesterol levels.

As Total cholesterol/HDL level is 3.8 (normal ranges below 4.5) and LDL/HDL ratio is 2.5 (normal ranges below 3.5), it means that you do not suffer from dyslipidemia and are not at any increased cardio-vascular risk. So, there is no need to be treated, as you have a normal blood lipid profile.

Regarding your fasting glucose levels, they are within the normal ranges. Nevertheless, I would recommend you to periodically check your fasting glucose every months, to be sure that everything is OK.

Another test (HbA1C levels) would give more information on your fasting glucose trends in the last three months and exclude for sure diabetes or a glucose intolerance.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 30 minutes later
ok, thanks for the explanation. so, the cholorosterol numbers look good then? Regarding the glucose value, could it be affected by high stress in the doctors office. I tend to panic when visiting physicians. And what are good ways to lower the glucose number?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, anxiety can lead to elevated fasting glucose levels.

You should know that anxiety activates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increased levels of adrenaline and noradrenaline. They are responsible for higher levels of fasting glucose.

So, in my opinion, you have nothing to worry about!

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri