What do the following cholesterol levels indicate?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 in Cholesterol
Question: Cholesterol 216
Triglyceride 96
HDL 63
LDL ( calculated) 134
Cholesterol/high density lipoprotein 3.4
Cholesterol non hel. 153
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
diet modification, exercise and medicine should be the mode of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
I have gone through your reports and according to it, your lipid profile is somewhat deranged because the cholesterol is mildly elevated as well as the LDL and the non-HDL cholesterol. If a patient comes to me with such symptoms, I generally advise the following-

Diet modification is very important. Avoiding high fat diet and taking more fluid and fresh fruits with vegetables and dietary fibers are very useful.
Regular exercise at least in the form of brisk walking for half an hour a day. It enhances metabolism, improves overall parameters.
Avoidance of smoking and alcohol.
Weight reduction if one is obese or overweight.
Tab atorvastatin before sleep to start.
Get a repeat lipid profile done after 2 months and review.

You can consult your treating or family doctor about the above and get these prescribed and followed.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T