What do the following blood test reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I took a blood test that says my bili direct is high (.30), and my AST is low (14) what does that mean? The MRI says my liver looks normal size.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 minutes later
Hi it can not be possible so repeat once again i think check with your report it may have 0.3.(Thanks)
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Yes its .30
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports are normal

Detailed Answer:

As per your reports, your levels are normal. The normal range of direct bilirubin lies from 0- 0.3 mg/dl. Your value of 0.03 lies in the normal range. Also normal range of AST is from 10-40 and your level of 14 is normal.

Also your MRI scan done came as normal, therefore, there is nothing to worry.

Anyhow, I would like to know the reason behind you getting the tests. Also revert back with your details about your symptoms if any.

Awaiting your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 4 hours later
I've been having breathing problems. No pain, just feeling like I can't catch my breath when I'm walking or talking a lot. Feels fine when I'm laying down. I had a blood test yesterday that says my proBNP is high - 129. The X-ray showed nothing in my chest. Also for some reason, my periods stopped 6 months ago with no warning. Not sure if this is all connected. The breathing part scares me as it's been going on for 2 months. No pain, just breathe being taken away...almost like an asthma thing, no pain.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check your Hemoglobin

Detailed Answer:
The treatment will be based on two points first one is breathing difficulty and second one is secondary amenorrea associated with it .so follow like this-

1)Check your Hemoglobin value if low correct it by blood transfusion or injectable drugs like Iron sucrose with 100 ml saline twice weekly

2)Till now you have not checked your Thyroid hormones so check TSH,T3,T4 to ruled out hypo or Hyper thyroid ,if done earlier then no need to repeat once again.

3)Check full blood count with differential to ruled out tropical eosinofilia ,if % is greater than 7% take a full course of [DEC] for 21 days.

4)last point is congestive cardiac failure(CCF) as mentioned in the report this is not enough to tell CCF.So please note some symptoms -
a) Shortness of breath
b)Feeling weak and fatigue
c)Swelling in legs or foot
d)Rapid or irregular heartbeats
e)Persistent cough or wheezing sound while expiration ,and sometimes blood tinged cough
f)Increased need to urinate at night
g)Swelling of abdomen due to fluid
i)Sudden weight gain
j)Lack of appetite and nausea
k)Difficulty concentrating in works
l)sometimes chest pain if CCF is due to coronary artery blockage

So first check at least any two symptoms is there or not,if present follow how to confirm diagnosis -::

a)Check all heart and lungs murmur[sounds] carefully and it will be detected by experience physicians only if suspected proceed to next
b)Check your blood pressure and sugar level
c)Check liver and kidney function tests
d)in chest X-ray what is the comment written below?In CCF usually heart shadow is enlarged.
e)Do stress ECG test while exercise and ECHO to confirm abnormality [ejection fraction]
f)If Stress ECG is abnormal do check any blockage by doing[ coronary angiogram] only

Treatment is medicinal(Prescription needed) and all causes should be removed carefully.so confirm 100% as told by me.

Prognosis-Good

Thanks & regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo