What do the following TSH values indicate?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: On 3/23/16 my lab report says:
TSH W/RFX to FREE T4 - value: 2.540 reference range: 0.1780-04.530 (uIU/ml)

On 7/25/2016 my lab report states:
TSH W/REFLEX to FT4 value: 4.12 (mIU/L) reference range 0.40 - 4.50

Do I need to be concerned that this is going to be a serious thyroid problem? My doctor wants to wait 3 to 6 months and test again but I want to be proactive if this is progressively getting worse - is it? the units of measurement are confusing me.
Thanks, Sandy
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What was you TSH levels?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

This is normal and there is no need to get worried. Unless you have any symptoms suggestive of a possible thyroid deficiency such as constipation, dry skin, fatigue, etc., there is no reason to get worried. To me, testing in 6months is perfectly okay and I will strongly recommend that you stick to it and avoid testing at all times. There is no harm in doing so but repeated and short run testing might rather do.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.