• question-icon

What do the following SGPT and SGOT levels indicate?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my SGPT 75 SGOT 58 and A1C is 9.7 diabetes. Is this indicates live failure ? How to Reduce SGPT and SGOT ?

Last couple of months I used consume Wine....lot almost everyday...but now I stopped need advice to be healthy
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, these levels don't indicate a liver failure

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.

Your SGPT and SGOT are more than normal ranges but these levels don't indicate a liver failure. Consuming alcohol has affected your liver, diabetes and triglyceride levels ( 396 mg /dl).

I can understand that you have not kept in control diabetes 9.7 ( HBA1c) is not a good level, your blood sugar in the last 3 months has not properly kept under control. It is optimal to try to keep blood sugar level (HBA1c) under 7 % and every time you measured it was always more than 7%.

I would recommend having an appointment with your endocrinologist, to discuss any changes in therapy (dosage of Metformin/ Glipizide ) to keep the blood sugar lower.

Meanwhile here are some advice that will help with your liver, lipids level and diabetes:
- Stop alcohol , don't use it anymore .
-Decrease fat intake in your diet ( consume food with low fat)
-Increase fiber intake in your diet( vegetables , fruits ..)
-Decrease carbohydrates( sugar) intake.
-Take omega 3 fatty acid ( Eat fish-salmon ,tuna.. more often )
-Do physical activity every day , at least 30 min/day.

Repeat the blood test after 2-3 months to check the SGPT/SGOT levels, blood sugar, triglyceride to see how will the levels change.
Monitor your blood sugar in the morning before you eat, 2 hours after you eat.

Hope you find my answer helpful.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
I will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rudina Balliu