What do the following EKG results indicate?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had two EKG's that show "Possible septal infarct", but my Dr. thinks it's nothing. Is this a common false positive in your experience?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's frequently seen

Detailed Answer:
Printed reports on the ecg are machine generated and frequently not correct. So it may be normal ecg and more so if you are not having any acute chest pain. You can upload your ecg here, for second opinion.
You probably been advised for echo of heart, this is test to look for heart function, and if normal then again it suggest that ecg is a normal one, because heart attack patient should have decreased function.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 40 minutes later
Thank you. I forgot to mention I do have bradycardia. Would that have anything to do with a "possible septal infarct" ?

Also the two ekgs were seen by a cardiologist who approved the "possible septal infarction" designation.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
Bradycardia is not directly a reason for that. But, it can certainly make ST segment elevation more pronounced and easily detectable in leads V1&2. Slightly elevation in these leads is a normal finding, and this probably is interpreted by machine as pathological. You should undergo echo as well, to look for heart function, to be sure regarding this finding and also as a part of evaluation of bradycardia.
For, bradycardia, you should also undergo thyroid test and holter monitoring if heart is too low, say less than 50. I assume, you don't have any history of dizziness, fainting or syncope. These are the symptoms of bradycardia. Get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana