What do the following CBC and lipid panel report indicate?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Aug 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: I just received results from a CBC, Lipid panel, and metabolic panel. They included a test with which I am unfamiliar, and marked it as "high" and "out of range" for this blood value. The test was for "ferritin, serum"....the value was 450 ng/mL, with a range for this lab (LabCorp) of 30-400 listed....I have done some research for this value, and find that this indicates an "iron overload". All other values relating to liver (AST 18, ALT 18) and hemoglobin (15.3 g/dL), hematocrit (45.6%) and platelets (185) appear to be normal....I've never heard of this blood value before.....I'm in good health with chol. 185, tri 69, HDL 56 (however, they listed also as "high" the "LDL Cholesterol Calc" as 115.......should I be worried about the ferritin and "calc" high numbers?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. a borderline high value is acceptable.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the lab reports. First of all, do not worry at all. S. Ferritin test is a usual component of iron profile and besides that it us also an acute phase reactant which can be seen elevated to varying range in body stress of any kind like infection, trauma or stress. A borderline elevated value is of no concern if there are no stressers as in that case it will simply state a good iron reserve of body.
Your ldl is slightly raised and the accepted limit us anything below 100. You canreduce it by exercises like jogging, swimming, bicycling daily for 30 minutes. No need for any medications right now.
Hope it works for you.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D