What do the attached MRI results indicate?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I had an MRI Monday to rule out a neurological cause for my dysphagia, which has been going on for about one year. The MRI found a nonspecific heterogeneous t2 signal in the pons. The report recommended a follow-up MRI with contrast. Could you please explain the result, and possible implications? My neurologist has not contacted me yet, just my GP, who was unable to provide any insight. Please note I have an anxiety disorder, so I’d appreciate if you’d take that into consideration when you respond. Thank you.
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
some further information about MRI results is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is difficult to get a correct understanding of the lesion only by this description.
However, it could be demyelination ( multiple sclerosis, etc.), with vascular nature (cavernoma, arteriovenous malformation), etc.

I'd request you to please post the full MRI report or DICOM images that should help me to get a correct understanding of the lesion nature.

Hope this helps.

Awaiting..........

Follow-up: What do the attached MRI results indicate? 17 minutes later
I don't have the report, my doctor just read it to me. I can try to get it. I remember it did mention a 3mm lesion.

The report also recommends a follow-up MRI with contrast in 3-6 months. While I try to get the report, could you please explain what a nonspecific heterogeneous t2 signal lesion in the pons means? In layman's terms? Thanks.

And can it be implicated in dysphagia?

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answered below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

In layman's terms pons is a part of brainstem, a nonspecific heterogeneous lesion means that its nature is unknown and it is composed by different parts.

T2 is one sequence of the MRI.

It could contribute to dysphagia since some of nerves involved in swallowing pass through the pons.

A follow up MRI is necessary to understand the behavior of the lesion, will it change or not.

Demyelination is a sort of nerves sheath damage from certain autoimmune diseases.

Hope this helps.

Regards.