What do the altered levels of leucocyte count, borderline hemoglobin along with decreased vitamin D3 indicate after 6 months of gestation?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 13 Sep 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Dear Madam
My wife is 6 Months Pregnant.Have done some routine blood Checkup.Attached the report for the same.So could you please give us input on the same.Whether it will have any complications on Pregnancy.
Following results were not in normal range

TEST NAME VALUE UNITS REFERENCE RANGE

TOTAL LEUCOCYTES COUNT 11.75 X 10³ / μL 4.0-10.0
LYMPHOCYTE PERCENTAGE 17.2 % 20.0-40.0
TOTAL RBC 3.73 X 10^6/μL 3.9-4.8
HEMOGLOBIN 11.4 g/dL 12.0-15.0
MEAN CORPUSCULAR VOLUME(MCV) 91.4 fL 83.0-101.0
RED CELL DISTRIBUTION WIDTH - SD(RDW-SD) 48.8 fL 39.0-46.0
RED CELL DISTRIBUTION WIDTH (RDW-CV) 14.6 % 11.6-14.0
25-OH VITAMIN D (TOTAL) C.L.I.A ng/ml
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supplementation required

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand the importance.
I have reviewed the reports.

The report is within normal limits for pregnancy.
Leucocytes or white blood cells are increased in Pregnancy physiologically, so all the type of leucocytes like monocytes, lymphocytes, neutrophils are altered in number.

Since the hemoglobin levels are just borderline, she should take iron supplementation in form of the iron tablet once a day.
Red cell distribution width is increased due to iron deficiency. It will normalize once iron supplementation is taken.

Vitamin D3 levels are decreased, and for this, she should take vitamin D3 supplementation in the dosing of 20,000IU once a week for 6 weeks then recheck the Vitamin D3 levels to decide on further dosing if any.

The levels of hemoglobin and vitamin D-3 are only borderline deranged, and will not adversely affect the pregnancy if corrected in time.

Rest, all the reports are completely normal.
There is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Feel free to ask in case of any further queries.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 5 hours later
Thanks for going through report and giving input.She will continue to take iron tablets which is taking from 3rd month.could you please let us know whethetr iron tablets should continue till 9th month or can be stopped once it comes to normal range. About Calcium Tablets she is taking from 3rd month should it get continued or can be stopped.Since it is under normal range now. About vitiman D deficiency she is taking Ultra D3 2k from past 2weeks along with calcium tablets at night daily.can we continue daily till it comes to normal range? Thanks for the information in advance
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue till delivery and 3 months after.

Detailed Answer:
She should continue iron and calcium tablets till delivery and continue it further for 3 months after childbirth.
vitamin D tablets can be stopped until delivery.

Dr. Deepti Verma
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana