Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What do swollen lymph nodes with clogging of the left ear indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2821 Questions
I have swollen lymph node behind and below my left ear. Also on the left side of my neck. My left ear feels clogged and the side of my left cheek feels numb.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am glad you are going in to be seen in person tomorrow because an enlarged lymph node should be checked in person.

Any time there is increased drainage or inflammation in an area, the nearby or regional lymph node can get enlarged as it tries to address the problem.

It may be that there is an upper respiratory infection that is causing drainage down your throat from your sinuses, making your ear feel clogged (from eustachian tube dysfunction) and causing your lymph node to be swollen.

However, it may be that there is something going on that is pressing on the nerve on the left side of your face causing the numb feeling, and again, the swollen lymph node.

Treatment will depend partly on what your ear drum looks like (and how well it moves - the doctor may use a gentle air puff to see if the ear drum moves - if it does not move well there may be fluid (not necessarily infected) behind the ear drum from an infection (not necessarily an ear infection!) and may recommend a nasal steroid or decongestant), or antihistamine.

It will also depend on what the lymph node feels like and an exam of other lymph nodes. If the doctor wants to know more about the lymph node and doesn't think it is swollen due to upper respiratory drainage or ear infection, then the doctor may have imaging studies done or a needle biopsy.

So the thing to do is to go in so that your doctor can have a look. Make sure you are seeing a physician (doctor) and not a PA or NP as they do not have as much education.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor