What do swollen lymph nodes in neck suggest?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: swollen lymph nodes .. possible exposure to hiv with a woman of unknown status when the condom broke.. that was back in may.. swelling of lymph nodes have been lasting for about 2 weeks... seeming to go up and down in size.. . woman known to be intravenous drug abuser... now having swollen lymph nodes in neck and possibly in andomen.. needing help..
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of getting HIV from possible single exposure is very unlikely specially when the status of women is unknown. Even though the women is positive then also there is very less chance of transmission of infection through single act.

There are multiple causes which can give rise to swollen lymph nodes in neck or abdomen, most likely being tuberculosis. You can go for chest x-ray and other blood investigations to isolate the cause and follow the advice accordingly.

Allay the fear and don't think too much about HIV. You can consider counselling services with the help of psychiatrist if needed. Go for HIV testing to relieve the anxiety and the negative result will give you mental satisfaction also.

Thank You

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T