What do swollen glands under the jaws indicate?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: I have been put on a strong dose of prednisone and levofloxacin and he also taken mercinex. Just woke up to find swollen glands at the jaw under both ears. Not really painful but scary.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you do not mind, please help me with a little information sir, thx

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. If you do not mind me asking, could you let me know why the antibiotic was prescribed along with the steroids sir?

If at all the swollen glands are lymph nodes or glands in the throat?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to accurately help you sir.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
I believe the swollen glands are lymph nodes and I also have some swelling in my groin. I was put on the anti-biotic due to chest congestion and cough.

Waiting for answer. The swelling is now getting painful
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably due to the underlying infection itself

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

If the swelling is due to inflamed lymph nodes, then this could be due to an infection, probably the infection you have for which you were prescribed antibiotics. It is unlikely that your lymph nodes would have swollen up due to any of the medications you are on, and most probably just a coincidence that they swell up soon after the initiation of the medication.

If the swelling is getting painful, I would recommend the use of pain management medication, whatever you can tolerate well enough, and if at all the pain does not change in 24-48 hours then you might require a revision in the antibiotic course. Other than that, I do not see any reason why you need to get worried for now.

Keep observing, and write to me in 24 hours and then again in 48 hours and we shall make the call together sir. Hoping all goes well.

Best wishes sir.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Thank you for your observations. If you don't mind I will leave this poison open and see how it goes later.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Of course sir, I am here to help

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Of course, you can keep our discussion open for as long as you wish to, I am always here to help.

And even in the future, if you wish to contact me anytime, all you need to do is to mention my name in the query and your question shall be directed to me.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad