Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What do sperm analysis and progesterone levels indicate ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
my wife and I have been trying for a baby for 14 months. I am 29, my wife is 25 . My wifes bloodtest showed her progestorone level to be slightly low. My first semen test has came back and the results showed: count -11million , motility- 22% , morthology- 13% normal, 7 million round cells, volume 7ml. Waiting for a consultant but I know this is not good. Will we be able to have a baby with these odds???will changing my dietand lifestyle and taking the right vitamins be enough? what else can we do?
Wed, 2 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern but the sperm analysis and progesterone levels are both not normal.

In a normal sperm analysis, the Volume over 2 cc is normal, so 7 cc is normal in your case. But if the sample has less than 20 million sperm per ml, this is considered to be a low sperm count. Yours are 11 millin count which accounts to oligospermia.

Motility is the percentage of moving sperm in a sample and an evaluation of their rate and direction of travel. At least 50% should be motile one hour after ejaculation and it is 22% in your case.

Considering the progesterone levels, low progesterone can be detected by a blood test after ovulation or by charting fertility. Your wife can take supplements like progesterone capsules, injections and vaginal suppositories after consulting her gynecologist but you need a detailed evaluation in your case.

Taking the right vitamins and changing the diet and lifestyle alone are not enough and the cause for this sperm analysis has to be detected and treated. Treatment is of as paramount importance as diet and vitamins.

Oligospermia can be due to multiple causes and it is broadly divided onto pre testicular, testicular and post testicular causes. We need to identify the cause in your case first. My sincere suggestion would be to consult an infertility specialist and get a detailed evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor