What do small red spots near nipples indicate?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have some small red spots near my nipples. Is this normal? I am a 33 year old woman
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple causes, needs evaluation ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

The red spots around the nipple/areola complex can be due to various causes ma'am, which is why I would recommend a doctors evaluation to confirm the diagnosis and accordingly direct treatment. In most cases, it is nothing serious and is mostly self-resolving, but some conditions do require treatment.

Let me also list a few of the most common causes for such a presentation, so you can take these up with your doctor. They are:
-Skin infections
-Insect bites
-Allergic reactions
-Eczema: but is seen in individuals with a history of eczema, and is mostly seen only on one breast
-Fox-Fordyce Disease: Have peculiar cherry red flesh colored bumps
-Acne or folliculitis: Due to the accumulation of sweat (dampness) in from wearing lingerie, constant friction from inner wear, etc.
-Cherry angiomas: Very common in men and women once they cross 30 years of age. Although, a few appeared for me on my shoulder and back when I touched 20 years of age. They do not hurt, itch or cause any symptoms what so ever. Are harmless, but permanent
and a few others ma'am.

I hope you understand why I prefer you visiting a doctor and getting elaborately examined, as I would feel more comfortable and would be less worried. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.