What do skin rashes, fever, cough and reddish coloured urine indicate despite taking Benadryl and Amoxicillin?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 8 year old son has a really bad skin rash all over his arms and his eyes are sunken in. His feet have a rash on them, are swollen red, has sharp pains, itchy, and stings to apply pressure on. He is also having extremely painful stomach pain that causes him to hunch over and cry. He also has a fever of 100 degrees and a sore throat. He went to the doctor today and she ruled out strep. She put him on Amoxicylin and told my wife to give him Benadryl. His school teacher reports he uses the bathroom a lot and he complains of being thirsty all the time. He claims his urine is sometimes redish in color and thick. I am out of town for work and am worried sick about him. What could this be??
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Looks like viral induced allergy.

Detailed Answer:

You have given me a very important history, that he is having pain abdomen also and that he has fever.

All this along with the rash which he is developing, is suggestive of viral induced urticaria or allergy.

Pediatrician has given Benadryl which will work for this and you can continue.

Red coloured urine maybe suggestive of some blood in the urine which requires evaluation along with a check up of his blood pressure.

But fever and pain abdomen along with rash with this high coloured urine is very common in vasculitis also.

If the symptoms does not get abated with Benadry,l I suggest you do the above work up which I have mentioned.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng