question-icon

What do sharp pains in the left side of chest indicate?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: This morning I had significant sharp pains in the left side of my chest. I have had similar pains with gas and do have a lot of acid at time. This time seemed to be more on the left vs. across the whole chest area. It last a while. my left hand was ice cold which seemed a little unusual. The pain past and now I feel fine. I did take 2 aspirin before I left the house.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Although you have a positive history for acid reflux (GERD) disease my advice is to go to the ER to exclude any life threatening problem. My advice is that you should do the following examinations on ER:
- Blood work
- ECG
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Chest x ray.

If you were my patient I would recommend to plan to do the following examinations to find out the exact ethyology of your problems:
- cardiac echo
- stress test
- upper endoscopy

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist