What do sharp pain after stent placement indicate?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I reciently had stints put in my heart and I occasionally feel some pounding and an occasional short sharp pain is this normal
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
The symptoms you describe of pounding and short sharp pains but you need to let your cardiologist know that you are having these symptoms.
You can call the office and someone will let the doctor know what is going on and then they can decide if you need to be seen right away or not.
The pounding is concerning for an elevated blood pressure or an abnormality in the rhythm of the heart. If it persists then you need to go to emergency. If it comes and goes then just let your doctor know.
Short Sharp pains are not usually a concern. They may come from healing around where the stents were placed or from a chest wall muscle problem.
You do not need to be alarmed unless one of these sensations becomes severe or does not go away, but you do need to call your doctor's office and let the know what is going on right away.
Dr. Robinson