What do red rashes in the groin area indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
New red splotches-won't go away don't itch burn or ooze.. On torso mainly in fold under belly and on side of torso and thigh/groin fold spreading quickly few smaller lighter ones on upper thigh upper torso and one under right breast... I have excema and this is not it - first two been there 3weeks spreading ever since... I sweat a lot and go to gym
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it. I have also reviewed the pictures.

This seems to be a case of fungal infection(Tinea corporis and Tinea cruris); well defined red, circular patches. Sweating, heat and humidity are the factors which encourage fungal growth.

If I was the treating doctor I would have asked you to use a topical antifungal cream e.g clotrimazole 1% cream twice daily for 2-4 weeks.

An oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg tablet, once every week, for 4 weeks is also advisable.

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: What do red rashes in the groin area indicate? 6 hours later
They do NOT itch. Also I am unable to see a doctor for two more months because of lack of providers taking my insurance. How would I get the oral tablets? Are there any otc antifungal tablets.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Fluconazole is a prescription drug. You would need a doctor's prescription for it.

You may apply topical OTC antifungals e.g clotrimazole cream 1% twice daily for 4 weeks.

Follow-up: What do red rashes in the groin area indicate? 4 minutes later
I have been trying to tell you that it DOES NOT ITCH CRACK OR OOZE. also should I not wear any clothes twice or lay on my sheets twice without washing? There are also several tiny lighter red ones that came up on my upper stomach and back. Do you still thing that's what it is?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I am sure about my diagnosis. Moreover, itching is subjective in individuals. You may begin with clotrimazole 1% cream.

Excessive sweating is a predisposing factor. Take a bath twice daily and wear loose fitting cotton clothes

Follow-up: What do red rashes in the groin area indicate? 7 minutes later
Should I change sheets daily? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Change your clothes after bath.

May change sheets daily. However, it is not specifically indicated for tinea.