What do red bumps with white tip on penis indicate?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello,
I have noticed a small "out break" of redish bumps with white tips above my penis starting a couple weeks ago right aftee I shaved. Usually I get razor burn and it goes away quickly. ..this time not so much.

there is nothing in the shaft or scrotom simply above the penis in groin area? Is this genital warts?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send pictures of the affected area

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the reddish bumps with white tips above your penis.

In view to help and guide you best I request you to please upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area so that I can analyze it better.

Kindly send good resolution pictures focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:

YYYY@YYYY

with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"

The pictures will be confidential and will not be available for anyone else to see except me.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 minutes later
it is exceptionally irritated right now cause I tried using duct tape (I read that helps)
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis:inflammation hair root

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up.

After analyzing the pictures let me reassure you that you have the problem of "Folliculitis". These are not at all warts so just relax about warts first.

Now to tell you medically about Folliculitis - This is a condition of inflammation and infection of the hair root and oil gland attached to it.

To explain it simply, we have hair all over our body which have opening of the oil glands attached to it. By many a factors these hair root and oil gland can become inflamed and infected leading to folliculitis. The reason for the inflammation and infection of the area is due to the fact that our body harbor multiple types of bacteria on the skin which are known as “Normal flora” of the skin.

A bacteria “Staphylococcus aureus” is also a part of that flora, but as soon as there is some break in the skin or trivially also due to bit ups and downs in immunity, the bacteria gets access into the skin and causes the aforesaid process of inflammation and infection.

In your case the deep shaving can be one important cause of entrance of bacteria and therefore folliculitis.

As we know that our genital area have lot of coarse hair and this area is always been closed, so there is always a chance of infection of hair root at this area.
It can further be aggravated by heat and humidity with sweating over this area. It is generally painful to begin with or have a feeling of discomfort.

When it is superficial it heals without any problem, but when it is deep it causes lot of pain and swelling around the area. In general these persist for few weeks and heals without any problem. After a period of time our immunity prevents the further formation and inflammation. The main concern is when it is occurring frequently and regularly.

There are certain suggestions which are applicable in any of the condition:

- The most important thing you should do is to not touch, pinch, pop or squeeze the area by any means.

-Stay away from hot and humid climate.

-Take two times bath and maintain good hygiene.

-Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments and especially change the undergarments two times a day.

- You can do cold or warm water compresses over the affected area.

You can do simple compresses of warm water or cold water over the same. Do not try to do some home remedies. If at all you want then can apply topical “Mupirocin” cream in a very thin layer two times a day or preferably night time. .

The problem will be alright in next couple of weeks or make take 1-2 months to get resolved. So don’t be anxious if it is not reducing in next few weeks. For the pain part you can take any good pain killer tablet such as paracetamol or Ibuprofen for 2 times after meals.

If at all you feel any severe pain or if the size is increasing or if there is any deep redness in the area then you may need medical attention where a simple course of antibiotics by mouth along with pain killers will resolve the problem.

I again fully reassure you that these are not at all warts so just relax about warts.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
that is an exceptional relief that genital warts is not the issue here <3 is it possible I could have molluscum contagiosum ?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can keep the possibility of molluscum contagiosum

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

The first and foremost of the thing is that your condition is "not at all genital warts", so just relax for the same.

There is a possibility of molluscum contagiosum but at this time the picture shows folliculitis.

It is quite likely that the lesions might had started as molluscum contagiosum too and by applying the tape it got irritated and then secondary infected.

It is a common process in molluscum contagiosum too that it can get infected and forms folliculitis like areas.

I again suggest you to not to do such kind of things and first take care of the infection. If you can see in the picture the areas are either red or yellowish which shows both irritation and infection respectively.

So let us first take care of the infection first and then if at all anything remains can be treated according to molluscum contagiousm.

I again suggest you to not to touch, pinch or pop the areas. You can do cold compression and take pain killer tablets or antibiotics according to requirement.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 minutes later
thank you very much!:) I hsve attached another file just in case. but I thank you for your expertise! !!:)
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Secondarily infected molluscum lesions

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

I am really happy to know that you are really relaxed to know that these are not warts.

I have gone through the latest picture sent by you. After diligently analyzing the picture I again fully reassure you that these are not warts.

to me these appears to be secondarily infected molluscum lesions which are now forming folliculitis too.

This is quite simple of the condition and if you do not touch the area then can heal by itself.

I have already suggested you certain instructions to take care of the problem. In case if you feel any increase in discomfort or yellow and red areas then can take oral antibiotics.

All my good wishes for your early recovery.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

For any future guidance regarding skin conditions you can ask me directly at:

bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia