• question-icon

What do recurrent episodes of dizziness indicate?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Having dizzy spells. Blood pressure is 141/83 at 82 beats per min.
Almost passed out while driving about an hour ago. Made it home and reclined. Feeling somewhat better.
I seem to have more frequent spells of light headedness lately (last few weeks). Last fall 2016, I had to pull over my car because I was struggling to maintain consciousness. It passed, but ever since I have had short, less intense periods of dizziness. Recently, I have also have nausea and the feeling of overheating.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Examinations needed to determine the diagnosis- some advises also

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Your blood pressure and pulse rates are almost within normal limits and would not justify the dizziness you are experiencing.
The fact that these dizzy spells happen more often recently shows that would be good to have a check.

In these cases it is always recommended to have a CBC to check for anemia, a heart ECG and ultrasound and also probably all the basic metabolic panel would be good to be checked (creatinine, electrolytes, sugar levels, etc).

Your doctor will need also to check your balance and do a neurological exam and sometime brain images might be requested in a few patients.

It is good you take the needed steps to keep yourself safe by going aside when you don't feel well.

Make sure you drink well and eat well during the day so you keep yourself well hydrated.

Not knowing exactly the cause of these spells makes it difficult to know if you need to see the doctor urgently or can wait till your appointment. The fact that you have had those for a while might tell us that might be ok to wait for the appointment but if you ever have and episode with fainting (loss of consciousness), chest pain, shortness of breath or any worsening you will need to urgently see a doctor and have the proper tests done. If you get more than one a day of those spells you will need to see the doctor soon also.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to write again in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj