What do rashes on the penile shaft indicate?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've had a rash-like pink and and sometimes white area on the underside of my shaft, front sides of my scrotum beside the penis but not inside the thighs, the area between my anus and scrotum, and around my anus and even going up my crack a little. I've had this rash starting as a rug burn on the underside of my shaft ever since I was about 6 when I first paid attention to it. It sometimes flakes. A doctor prescribed me antifungal so I'm trying jock itch cream but it's making it itch.

it also goes up on my pubic area a little and it itches before I scratch and sometimes during scratching

i also even tried hand sanitizer but i read that it doesn't kill all fungi

sometimes it travels up to and around the top pf my foreskin causing tightness to the point of splittings.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Photograph required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Your description is suggestive of fungal infection.
Only creams are not sufficient in treating fungal infection.
A combination of oral and topical antifungal medication works well.
If possible upload a photograph of the involved area.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and better way of management.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 days later
i uploaded some photos
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and photographs.
It is looking like fungal infection.
I treat such cases with a combination of oral and topical antifungal medication.
A combination of oral fluconazole 150 mg per week for 4 weeks and ointment clotrimazole to be applied twice daily for the same duration gives good response.
It is safe and effective.
You can try these in consultation with your doctor.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 hours later
Thank you
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy