• question-icon

What do rashes on the lower legs and knees indicate?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi my daughter got 3 splinters on the back of her leg from sitting in a shed which has now developed into a rash. Its been about 5 weeks and seems to be spreading causing her to itch in her groin and under her arm. The rashes on her legs were the splinters were are not itchy
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible fungal infection or contact dermatitis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

What your daughter has can be either a fungal infection or a contact dermatitis from the contact with the splinters.
Can you please upload a photo so I can have a look at those lesions and evaluate them? You can do so at the reports section in this page.
Also, please kindly tell me how and for how long have you used the creams that you mention above?

Looking forward to your follow up question. I will be happy to help.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
I used timodine for 7 days which did nothing. And the other creams also for bout a week each. What would be the best cream
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dermatitis from sweat/humidity during the contact ith surfaces

Detailed Answer:

I saw the photos. It seems to be like a rash from the sweat.

My suggestion is that you use Hydrocortisone 1% cream for 3-7 days, once/day very thin layer.
But the most important thing to do long term is to apply natural oils after baths, so the the skin will not allow humidity and contact to irritate the skin.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 7 hours later
shes never had this problem before it was just when the splinters got in that this rash came, and does not want to seem to go i was worried some bactiria was still left inside. The doctors dont seem to know when i go to them . Thank you
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bacterias are not likely to be left inside.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

It might have been a reaction from the splinters which will need some time to go away, and Hydrocortisone will help for that I believe.

I don't think that bacterias are left inside of the insertion area of the splinters because if it was the case, those points were splinters were will be red and inflamed, swollen and even with pus. And from what I understand from your previous question they seem to be getting better.

Hope this helps to reassure you.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako