What do rashes in the groin area indicate?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I would like to ask about my rashes on my groin area which also affected my vaginal area and to my buttocks. At first I thought it's just too much heat that is causing it and my napkin but it's almost a month now and it's really irritating. And now,my groin turned dark brown in color going to my anus area. What should I do?and what medications should I apply?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to Healthcare magic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I would keep a possibility of fungal infection. The groin and perineal area is prone to fungal infections because sweat gets trapped between the groin folds and provides an ideal environment for the fungus to proliferate.

You could apply topical OTC antifungal cream for example 1% clotrimazole cream twice daily for 4-6weeks.

Oral cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide symptomatic relief from itching

Once the rashes resolve with antifungal cream, antifungal dusting powder (e.g clotrimazole dusting powder) can be used regularly to keep the folds dry and prevent recurrence.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
What other medications can i apply so the color will lighten and eventually return to its normal color?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Just use an OTC topical antifungal cream e.g clotrimazole twice daily for 4 weeks. Th colour would gradually lighten once the infection resolves.

Thereafter, you may use an antifungal dusting powder to prevent recurrence.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Do i need prescription to purchase such medication
Brief Answer:
Clotrimazole 1% cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Clotrimazole 1% cream is an OTC product. So you may be able to get it by yourself from a drug store.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
May i know your good name sir?
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection regardng

Detailed Answer:
Sure.

You are talking to Dr. Kakkar