What do presence of small ovarian follicles indicate?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi what does it mean to have a probable small ovarian follicles?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax. You can definitely have children.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

When did you get your last period? During each period, one egg starts growing in either ovary. We call this as follicle. Depending on which day of the period ultrasound is done, its size varies. What was the size of the follicle they saw?

I hope it is clear now.
If you have further queries, I will be happy to answer.

Best Wishes,
Dr Rama

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 9 minutes later
Thanks for getting back to me. I went to the er yesterday because of abdominal pain. I have labs and a ct scan and they came normal. The doctor say that I have small focicle but never told me the size. I was refereed to a gynecologist
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Probably it was a small size follicle. That is why they did not tell you the size. Do you still have pain?

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 16 minutes later
I was seem in the er the doctor referred me to a gynecologist. The pain is decreasing. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to have kids. Do you think I have PCOS? Also what does it mean if my follicles are small?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Happy to know that the pain is decreasing. The follicles are small if the ultrasound is done close to your period bleeding time and this is normal. It does not mean that you have PCOS.
It does not mean that you cannot have kids. So relax.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 21 minutes later
So why I'm having the pain?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It could be just ovulation pain ( if this is your ovulation period). It could be intestinal colic also since the pain has reduced without treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Sorry for ignorance but how do we know when we ovulating?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
If you have regular cycles of 28 days, then ovulation occurs on 14/15th day of cycle.

Ovulation occurs around 14 days before the next period.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 hours later
How would I know if I have a cycle of 28 days?
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:

You need to count from first day of your period bleeding to the first day of period bleeding in the following month. This will give you the duration of your period cycle.

I hope this is clear.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy