What do presence of abnormal cells on a pap smear report suggest?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My doctors office called and is having me return for a follow up test due to abnormal cells being discovered from my pap smear.

The nurse said there was nothing to worry about and my results seemed to show a very low chance of there being anything more serious. She said on the scale from 1 to 3, I was on the very low end at a 1.

I asked her about cancer and she assured me of thr chances of it being low as well.

I am very worried and scared. Can you educate me a little of what to expect and really explain what has occurred with thr abnormal cells being detected?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to chronic irritation or infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Abnormal cells in a PAP smear indicate that there is an abnormality that is developing. It does not indicate cancer. Chronic infection or an irritation or an HPV infection can also cause such a mild change. Although these changes are usually harmless and change into cancer in less than 5% cases, the best approach now is a colposcopy and biopsy depending upon the findings of the coploscopy. Regular follow up PAP smear will also help in detecting any early change in cervical cytology.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Two years ago I had a procedure to remove some fibroids and some cysts on my ovaries. I also suffer from endometriosis. Could any of this contribute to the abnormalities found in my pap?

So, you're saying that the chances of cancer?

What kind of infection or chronic illness could be present usually in these cases?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related to ovarian cysts or endometriosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The changes in cervix are not related to ovarian cysts or fibroids or changes in the endometrium.
The chances of cancer are very low but it is best to get your annual PAP test done regularly.
Chronic HPV infection or leukorrhea or chronic cervicitis can cause such changes.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
What is leukorra?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Leukorrhea is an abnormal white or greenish yellow discharge from vagina that may or may not be associated with itching. This is usually associated with vaginal yeast or bacterial infection.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Ok, thank you. I haven't had any symptoms like that.

However, for a while though, I have had some spotting and brownish discharge. It has been brown and pasty. I did have the depo shot and prior to having the shot is when I experienced the pelvic pain and the darker discharge and spotting.

Is this cause for alarm?
Brief Answer:
Not worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
The spotting and brownish discharge can be due to the Depo shot. It is not worrisome.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
it actually happened before the depo shot which caused me to go to see my doctor. Plus pelvic pain being an issue.
Brief Answer:
Endometriosis can cause pelvic pain.

Detailed Answer:
If the discharge was before the Depo shot then a cervix inflammation or a cervical lesion needs to be ruled out after PAP smear, ultrasound scan and colposcopy. The pelvic pain can be due to endometriosis.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
I am having the colposcopy this week. I had an ultrasound already and it revealed fibroids and small cysts.

Do you think there is still cause for concern for cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colposcopy will rule out malignancy.

Detailed Answer:
The chances of cancer are less than 5%. Colposcopy will help in completely ruling out the cancer. Please do not worry and wait for colposcopy.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 minutes later
Ok. Thank you so much. The nurse said there was a very low chance too.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.