What do poor urine flow with a marginal increase of PSA levels indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello, my name is Khoi, 72 year old. My PSA recently elevated to 4.3 in XXXXXXX 2018 from 4.1 in Aug 2017. It was 2.8 in Jun 2016.
My family doc refer me to specialist in Oct 2017. Specialist requested lab test result in XXXXXXX 2018 + another test showed my urine flow slow and only drain 100cc with about 50cc still inside my bladder. With these conditions I was advised first to clear my urine flow, wait for few months and retest PSA. If it lower, wait another few months and retest until it return normal. Otherwise take prostate biopxy.
What should I do now?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Mostly you have Benign Enlargement of Prostate

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted poor urine flow with a marginal increase of PSA with significant post bovid residual urine that you have is mostly due to Enlarged Prostate.

Start taking antibiotics like Cefotaxime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with Tamsulosin once Daly for a month.

Repeat your PSA after one month.

Further management as regards doing prostate biopsy would be decided upon the level of PSA. at that time.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr P. T. Patil, Urologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana