What do pink and red spots in the inner thigh and groin area indicate?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: About a year ago I noticed a couple spots on my right inner thigh, groin area, they're light brown until I get in the bath then turn pinkish to red. They're flat and smooth. In the last few weeks I've developed a concerning amount popping up now on both sides and beginning to creep up my abdomen. Reminds me off what a diaper rash looks like. I was told it looks like Tinea Cruris however the symptoms don't fit. They aren't itchy or hurt at all. Concerning is how much and how fast they have become. What could they be?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinea versicolor a possible cause- local treatment for weeks

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The timing of the spots for a year now rules out a bacterial infection or other more acute causes. The most likely cause of the rash you prescribe is Tinea Versicolor which is a kind of fungal infection but does not cause itchiness generally and can be there for months to years without bothering the patient. It tends to change color, it is dark on pale skin and pale on dark skin that is why it is called versicolor.

Sometimes the infection with Tinea Versicolor is stable and does not change for months, sometimes it might spread fast as it has happened in your case that after a period of almost stable lessions they start to spread. This is a very common finding with it.

The difficulty with this kind of yeast infection is that even though you take the cream and it is effective it is hard to see the effect till the skin gets the pigment back as it might cause changes of the pigmentation of the skin.

So to summarize:
1. antifungal cream or sometimes selenium sulfide cream are effective in treating it- you should apply it on the area with the lessions and around one inch further as the yeast might be a bit further than the lesions. Use is for a couple of weeks at least.
2. The treatment will prevent spread but spots might still persist for a while till the skin is pigmented again
3. if any worsening of the spots even though you got the treatment or no improvement in a couple of months you need a visit as other causes of spots should be considered.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to contact me in case any more clarifications are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T