What do pimples around the neck of a child indicate?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 3.5 month old son developed small pimples around his neck and later on grouped together to form white patches.Doc suggested atarax and fusiwal cream to apply.I am giving him ataraz 0.5ml twice daily for past 5 days. Rashes has reduced but the white patches are still there with little reddness.Should I continue atarax or stop it.Is it safe to use this medicine for 3.5 month old child? Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Atarax is safe. Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. However, I would request you to upload an image of the rashes. Based on that I would guide you further. As such, Atarax is safe and effective and may be continued.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 52 minutes later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for the reply.Is this could be an infection or some allergic reaction? I have not given him atarax today, should I give him the dose now?

I have emailed the pics to YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue Atarax

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending the images. I can see two types of rashes. The white patches could either be due to fungal or autoimmune cause and need further evaluation by a dermatologist. In case of fungal cause (pityriasis versicolor), application of topical antifungals like clotrimazole lotion should help. For the other type of rash, atarax should help. You can give the dose of Atarax now.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 hours later
Thanks for the reply Doc.
Are there any confirmatory test for the above mentioned conditions? Should I take any special care while oiling or bathing the baby if its fungal infection?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid application of soap for the time being.

Detailed Answer:
There is no special care to suggest. However, it would be a good idea to avoid application of soap for the time being. In the meantime see a dermatologist and get the treatment planned accordingly.