What do pimples and rash in the armpit indicate despite taking Nystatin?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: I have bumps (like pimples) and a slight rash in only one armpit. I discontinued my ant-perspirant over a week ago. I tried using nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream which helped in the past. It's only been getting worse and the bumps are multiplying
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
hellhello. thank you for writing to us.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Perhaps it is bacterial skin and soft tissue infection- folliculitis. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area in "Reports section" so that I am able to guide you better.
Do you have any associated symptoms like itching? pain?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Uploaded picture. Some very slight itching been using witch XXXXXXX which makes it feel better

Could it be Hidradenitis supportiva?

What can I do?

Thank you
Scott
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial skin infection i.e furunculosis

Detailed Answer:
thank you.
I have viewed the image.
Its a bacterial skin and soft tissue infection I.e furunculosis. I suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e g either amoxicillin+ clavulanate (500mg+125mg), thrice daily for a week Or Cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily for a week.
You may also take an oral antiinflammatory/ painkiller e.g ibuprofen, twice or thrice in a day for 3 days. These are prescription. medications.
Topically I suggest you to use an antibacterial ointment e g 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily.
I won't keep hidradenitis suppurativa (HS)as my first possibility here because HS is also usually associated with scaring and is recurring in nature.