What do persistent numbness and aches in the hands indicate?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My hands often "go to sleep" and will ache. I have no idea why. This may happen if I'm in bed or awake.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Transient nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Hi Antmerni,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

'Hands going to sleep' is very common and its a normal phenomenon usually. It results frequently when your hands are under some kind of pressure for sometime,and this sleepiness improves after changing hands position.This happens due to transient nerve compression due to mechanical pressure.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)