• question-icon

What do persistent dizzy spells after an accident indicate?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Dr Rynne,
I was in a car accident on Saturday. I was extremely nauseas, felt like I was going to have diarrea, got really hot and sweaty and then fainted when I was driving. I was very lucky and just clipped a pole and ended up a curb on a grassy area. Afterwards I felt fine. I have had 4-5 dizzy spells since Saturday. I went to the emergency room Saturday and Monday. They could not find anything wrong.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycemia attack caused the Saturday's symptoms explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hi Laurielatronica,

I understand your concern.

1. Feeling extremely nausea, going to have diarrhea, getting hot and sweaty followed by fainting while being driving, could have occurred due to possible hypoglycemia attack or hypotension.

2. If the symptoms appeared after eating/drinking something, it could be due to food poisoning.

In either cases, checking your blood pressure (bp) and blood sugar levels (bsl) and record the results to evaluate the changes.

3. I am happy to hear that nothing serious was found in emergency room. However, I still recommend to monitor your bp and bsl, and record the results.

Check your blood electrolytes to rule out dehydration. Increase water intake; take probiotics to stabilize intestinal flora.

4. If you are also having headache, spondyloarthrosis is to rule out through physical examination and X-ray.

Dizzy spells are caused from the crush during the accident. It will go away in a few days. Hopefully nothing wrong was found. However, if you have any lab report, please send to me.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other queries.
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
I just ate lunch so I don't think it was low blood sugar. I drank 3 glasses of water at lunch that day so I was not dehydrated. It was 70 degree's outside so I was not overheated. I don't think it was food poisoning because after I fainted the nausea, diarrhea, sweating went away and I felt so much better. I have not had any headaches.
I do have relatively low blood pressure so I'm guessing that was the problem. I see my doctor today and have an appointment with a cardiologist on July 5th.
I am now afraid to drive and that is causing a problem. Can a panic attack cause dizzyness?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,panic attack can cause dizziness

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Thank you for providing additional information.

Indeed, from what you are reporting, the episode you experienced might be due to low blood pressure.

We look at organic issues first, then we can tell it's due to panic attack, which is a psychological issue.

If nothing organic is found, and if you say you got panicked while driving, that could be the cause.

I advise not to get afraid to drive, that episode won't repeat. At the same time, I advise to stop driving for a few days or ask someone to accompany you while driving until you'll get totally control of your anxiety.

Give all the details to your physician in order to help him find the real reason of that episode.

Happy to know you'll see a cardiologist too as you should get to know the cause of having low blood pressure.

Let me know if you have any other concern.
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Albana Sejdini