What do persistent and irregular pain in the lower abdominal area indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Persistent, but irregular, pain in my lower left abdomen of varying intensity over the last 5 months; does not radiate to other areas. I am a 75 year old female in generally good health. I have ovaries but no uterus, occasional IBS, occasional reflux, diverticulosis, mostly regular bowel habits--occasional diarrhea. A recent abdominal X-Ray appeared normal.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably inflammation of diverticuli.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/75 - known case of diverticulosis, IBS, reflux, mostly regular bowel habits - occasional diarrhea - X-ray abdomen appears normal - persistent but irregular pain - left lower abdomen of varying intensity - Doc thinks to be mild diverticulitis - wants to know whether this can be chronic - couple of polyps removed via colonoscopy 2 years ago.taking healthy diet and probiotic -

With the history that you have provided, my opinion too goes in favor of diverticulitis.

I would advise you the following:
Contrast enhanced CT scan of the abdomen.

Review colonoscopy as the last one was done 2 years ago, had polyps and you have pain in the left lower abdomen.
This will give the proper diagnosis and a plan for treatment.

I hope this answer helps you.
Let me know if there's any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee