What do painful, small white spots in the back of throat suggest?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have small white spots in the back of my throat on the sides with some pain
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

It seems that you might have an bacterial infection of tonsils (bacterial tonsillitis).
If you have throat pain and high fever ,you need to see a doctor and get examined.After examining your throat ,he can do a strep test to determine if the cause of infection is Streptococcus.
In this case you may need a course of antibiotics to treat the infection.
The white spots in the back of your throat indicate the presence of puss in tonsils.
If you don't have fever and the discomfort is mild ,you can give it some days to see if the infection will resolve on it's own.
Doing gargles with salt water and taking Ibuprofen can ease the discomfort.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question or doubts to clarify.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati