What do pain in abdomen and lower back with normal cystoscopy report suggest?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Two weeks ago I had a cystoscopy done because of chronic pain on the lower right side of my abdomen (which I have been having for five months), and blood in urine (which I have had for over a decade with an undetermined cause). The cystoscopy was normal. In 2 days, I started getting a severe pain in my lower back (but no high fever, no blood but a severe runny nose and some sore throat). The doctor sent me to do a urine analysis with culture. There was no culture growth and no nitrites in my urine, only leucocytes. The doctor said it was not an infection so I wasn’t prescribed an antibiotic. My lower back pain continues and has now spread to my buttocks as well. What is it?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should be further investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pain in the right lower side of the abdomen along with blood in the urine could be due to Right sided Ureteric stone, Right sided kidney stone,Severe urinary bladder infection etc.
Cystoscope cannot visualise kidneys.
Hence,I request you to consult your doctor and get an Ultrasound abdomen.
Though Appendicitis causes lower quadrant pain on right side, it doesn't cause blood in Urine. So,it is excluded.
Pain in the lower back spreading to the buttocks could be due to Kidney stone . Ultrasound abdomen will confirm the diagnosis. If it is normal, then the pain could be due to musculoSkeletal cause. It could be Radicular pain.Then,you should consult a Chiropractor.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 24 hours later
I had an ultrasound. It was normal, nothing was found.
Can it be kidney cancer ?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of Kidney cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Minor change in the kidney will be seen in Ultrasound abdomen. As it is normal,there is no chance of Kidney cancer. It is 100% sure.
It could be Radicular pain.
Usually, I prescribe Skeletal muscle relaxant tablet containing Thiocolchicoside to my patients with similar complaints.
If there is no response, please consult a Chiropractor.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon