What do pain and water discharge from the eyes after cornea replacement indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor

My mother is currently 73 years old and till date cornea was replaced twice in both the eyes. Currently she has no vision in her right eye however in left eye she does has vision and retina is normal.

Issue: From past 2 weeks her right eye is paining a lot and there is constant water discharge. We got it checked and she was told that because of calcium spots which has accumulated in a area she is loosing the eye and for same reason its she has pain and water discharge as well.

I have attached some pics for your ref

Please check and let me know if there is any possibility where in we can remove this calcium deposits from her eye to ease her discomfort. If not what are the available options at this stage.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Band keratopathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM,
The problem is called Band keratopathy.Band keratopathy is characterized by the appearance of an opaque white band of variable density across the central cornea, formed by the precipitation of calcium salts on the corneal surface.
Available treatment options
Superficial debridement generally at least partially restores vision and comfort for most patients with band keratopathy, although can often leads to recurrence in many cases.unless underlying conditions have been addressed, removing the calcium deposits in band keratopathy will be associated with a high incidence of recurrence.

Options-
however, superficial debridement or lamellar keratectomy restores vision and comfort for most patients with band keratopathy, with the incidence of adverse outcomes following this procedure being very low.

However a detailed physical examination of eye and general condition of patient is required before making any decision.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
You can ask your opthalmologist to consider for lamellar debridment.However the final decision rests on the treating opthalmologist by considering all pros and cons.These surgeries are not performed by all opthalmologist, so you should consult at a quaternary centre.
Thanks!