What do pain and swelling in the calf and knee indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have pain and swelling in calf started in back of knee. this is day 3 I took Advil each day at 1st it helped alot. I took it twice in 24 hours. the mystery is it's only in one leg. I had a heart attack in 2004, my cardiologist doesn't need to see me any more. I have kidney diesease, stage 3, I had kidney failure in August, my creatines were a little over 9 and they said my kidney funtions were suppose to be 63 and they were 5. But every thing is stable now. My creatines are down to 2. my kidney funtions are almost 30. While in the hospital they too me off all my meds. Except Bystolic, a month ago they put me on Lipator because my colestrol when way high.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigation is required.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Unilateral calf swelling and pain may mean various disorders. One diagnosis that is very worrisome is deep vein thrombosis as it may evolve into pulmonary embolism. Other important diagnoses include rupture of Baker's (popliteal) cyst and local infection (erysipelas, which usually causes high fever). Another thing to keep in mind is that drugs like advil may worsen your renal function so they'd better avoided.

Your best next step is would be to visit the ER and have a doctor check your extremity. An ultrasound scan should be sufficient to diagnose deep vein thrombosis or the ruptured cyst. Erysipelas can be diagnosed by inspection only.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis, Internal Medicine Specialist