What do numbness and tingling sensation in arms after rotator cuff surgery indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: My husband had rotator Cuff surgery two and ak half weeks ago and is experiencing numbness and tingling down his forearm is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to soft tissue swelling.

Detailed Answer:
After a rotator cuff surgery, the numbness and tingling of the forearm can be due to mild soft tissue swelling around the shoulder that is causing a compression on few of the nerve fibers.
This sensation is a normal finding and the sensation reduces as the swelling reduces. Doing a hot compress of the shoulder will help in reducing the swelling and improvement of the symptoms. He can also start taking methylcobalamin supplements for an early recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 days later
Thank you so much for your answer. Could this tingling and numbness be from compression during surgery affecting nerves in that area?

We are so appreciative and have been extremely worried. The surgery was three weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue swelling likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The nerve compression is more likely to be due to a local soft tissue swelling if the muscle strength is normal. This is less likely to be due to the surgery affecting the nerves.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 minutes later
Let me be clear about what I meant with my second question. Could damage have been done to thee nerves on his forearm from compression by something they used during surgery like blood pressure cuff etc.

Thank you again for your service, most appreciated!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
The nerves of the forearm cannot be damaged by a blood pressure cuff or anything else that is used during the surgery. Taking methylcobalamin supplements can help in decreasing the sensation.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Could you let me know how much methyl cobalamin he should take each day and again thank you. You have eased my anxiety and bless you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
1500 mcg.

Detailed Answer:
He can take 1500mcg of methylcobalamin daily at night for at least 4 weeks before going to bed to relieve his symptoms.
Regards.