What do nausea and blood in stool indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
For the last few days I have been experiencing nausea and bloody stools. What could these symptoms possibly indicate?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

I don't think that these two symptoms are related and nausea is nonspecific sign which may be result of diet, gastritis or some other benign causes.

In most cases, causes bleeding through rectum are benign and include hemorrhoids, anal fissure or rectal polyps. These are primarily treated with stool softener, diet and sitzbaths.

. Other causes may be more serious and include tumors or inflammatory bowel diseases and these should be ruled out with colonoscopy which must be done if there is low red blood count present or rapid weight loss. Otherwise, you can see if conservative therapy will help and consult proctologist if necessary.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.