question-icon

What do my urine test results indicate?

Posted on Sat, 7 May 2016
Question: I am a SCI patient (Spinal Cord Injured) since last 1 yr and my body is paralyzed. I am on CIC (Clean Intermittent Catheterization) to empty the urine from bladder. CIC time is in every 4 hours. From last 3 days I am having fever range between 99-101. In my urine routine test report pus cells have been found range between 18-20. Please let me know what medicines need to take and what other precautions are required?

Also I am having urine leakage from last 6 months. Please suggest medicine for urine leakage.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
WBC's is significant of UTI. Leaks occur due to bladder muscle spasms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.

As an Urologist, i can fully understand your concern.

CIC is done to empty the bladder at 4-6 hour intervals,with a small size catheter.
The urine leak occurs around the catheter, as well as,spontaneously.
Spontaneous leak is due to bladder muscle spasms,off and on.

Fever is due to UTI (urinary tract infection).
You should start a quinolone like,Ciprofloxacin immediately.
Make it a habit of drinking 10-12 glasses fluids daily.

For the urine leak, take Flavoxate twice or thrice daily,depending on amount.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist