• question-icon

What do my urinalysis test results indicate?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I did a urinalysis on a reagent strip- it came back with a positive bilirubin reading of 1mg/dl and a Urobilinogen of over 12 mg/dl. I say over because the color is darker than the dark pink color on the panel indicating 12 mg/dl. Is this to be considered an emergency? I had a sluggish gallbladder ( bile sludge) during my last pregnancy.. How often are these tests truly indicative of liver problems? These results have stayed consistent so far with twelve hours of urine samples
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test not reliable

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Such tests are not accurate and you should not trust it. If you have some concerns you should do classic urine analysis. Bilirubin in urine may be sign of liver damage but you would have some symptoms too,such as jaundice, pain ,fever or itchy skin. If you have these ,you should see doctor,if not,you don't need to be worried. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 4 minutes later
Considering the plethora of information out there ( from respected medical websites as well) i am wondering why these tests are so unreliable?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Urine test strips and reagents may be helpful but are not reliable as standard urine tests. So it may indicate some problem but you need to have on mind that there are may false positive results,that there may be mistakes in interpretation and it may react to certain other substances and proteins in urine.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon