What do my urinalysis test report indicate?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello,
my 2yr old son had an uti episode when he was 6 months old and recovered. But he had fever yesterday of 99.7 and I got the urine analysis done. I attached the report. Should I be concerned abt the RBC and albumin.

he is on orofer xt for iron.

thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be an UTI

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details and understand your concerns. The UTI that he had at 6 months of age would have no correlation with the present episode of fever. I have gone through the report. The first thing that is evident is that he is not drinking adequate amounts of water. This is indicated by the increased specific gravity as well as the presence of calcium oxalate crystals. The kidneys seem slightly leaky as indicated by the traces of albumin and RBCs but I would not be alarmed by it. Since the pus cell count is not raised, I would not consider an infection. Moreover, drinking plenty of water flushes out infections anyway.

My suggestion would be to give him plenty of water. Give paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down the fever, as required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D