• question-icon

What do my scan reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: I have operated for breast cancer in 2009. No adjuvant treatment has been taken after surgery.
In 2016 cancer came back to hip, ribs, sternum with pleural effusion in lungs.
15 days of radiation has been taken. Bevetex 200 mg for 18 cycles every week has been taken as chemotherapy.
After chemos doctor suggested to use Tykerb 1000mg/day for 21 days and 1 week off.
Along with Tykerb, P-Biotic (daily 3 tablets), Genpraz - DSR (early morning 1 tablet),Idromet (daily 1 tablet), calferon-plus (daily - 2) are being used.
We are using the above tablets since September 2016. Every 3 months CT scan, Ultrasound has been done and everything is ok so far.
Last week MRI scan has been done for brain and report is normal. The above medication is costing us monthly 45000 to 50000 rupees which we cannot afford anymore.
Please suggest us cost effective alternative medicines that we can discuss with the oncologist here and use. Any advice/help in this regard would be greatly helpful for us.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. There is no substitute

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details. Iam afraid but the tykerb has no alternative oral drug which is cost effective.
In my opinion what can be done is that your doctor can tie up with some drug manufacturing firm to enroll you in a patient assistant program and then the drug can be provided on a subsidised rate.
Otherwise there is an assitant program on drug called injectible canmab which can be substituted for tykerb.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist