• question-icon

What do my liver function test results indicate?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i recently stopped my horrible journey w anabolic steroids (injections) and i have had blood work (Cbc) sonogram on my liver, LFN and all went well other then the fact my cpk was elevated from to much training.. i have giberts syndrome which is benign but when i fast my bilirubin elevates... but as long as i eat its around 1.3 or so .. so the question is

my ast was 27 & alt was 47 on my last test.. I'm worried i could have given myself hepatitis due to the jump.. after all these test should i worry about hep A,B or C?

alkaline phos:72
total protein: 7.5
albumin: 3.9
AST: 27
ALT: 47
Bilirubin: 1.2
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Liver tests

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.

The AST and ALT values do not appear to be significantly elevated, if at all. The normal ranges on your laboratory report will give us an exact idea. Each lab has their own normal reference ranges depending on the method they use to run the test.

If they are elevated then it will not hurt to get checked for chronic hepatitis such as hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.
The typical screening tests for these two are
HBsAg and
anti HCV

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
25 hydroxy Vitamin D

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Yes i got all of that done.. V-25 was 19 so i am in the sun ( XXXXXXX , fl ) 45mins a day and im on a VD3 supplement ... The XXXXXXX range for ALT was 61 for the lab I used... Creatinine was 1.1 i way 205 lots of muscle size... Guess its time go get this hep test... D
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Noted.
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist