• question-icon

What do my lipid profile test results indicate?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My HDL is 56 (The report range shows: > OR = 46mg/dl) My LDL is 145 H (The report range shows : <130 mg/dl) My Triglycerides are 177 H (The report range shows: <150 mg/dl) My total cholesterol is 236 H (The report range shows: 125-200 mg/dl) My CHOL/HDLC Ratio is 4.2 (The report range shows: (< OR = 5.0) My LDL/HDL ratio is 2.6 (Report range shows: Below avg risk <2.34; Avg Risk 2.35-4.12) Are these numbers bad enough for me to consider going on Lipitor which has many side effect including increased risk of diabetes since I am female over 65 with family history of this disease (mother). I want to get serious about diet and exercise to avoid this drug. I am now on 40 mg of Pravastatin but haven't been serious in dieting and exercise though I walk 2 miles avg 3 days a week. This drug scares me and i would be more willing to do something about my weight to avoid it. Your comments please.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better efforts to reduce weight and cholesterol

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your lipid profile is unfavourable and is associated with increased risk for heart attack or stroke.
You should continue your medicine and increase your efforts to reduce weight and cholesterol levels by fat restricted diet and more exercise.
Once the optimum level is achieved, you may attempt to maintain the level with less medicine.
In the risk benefit equation, the risk of diabetes is less than risk of heart disease.
Dr. Noble Zachariah