What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: What does the following mean: C3-4 - right uncovertebral hypertrophy is present with a right subarticular zone 1 mm disc protrusion with overall moderate right neural forminal narrowing and borderline central canal stenosis towards the right.?
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your Spinal Cord and Your Nerve Root are compressed and we need to treat th

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

Question : What does the following mean: C3-4 - right uncovertebral hypertrophy is present with a right subarticular zone 1 mm disc protrusion with overall moderate right neural forminal narrowing and borderline central canal stenosis towards the right.?
Answer : This means that You have got Cervical Spondylosis. This is a degenerative condition of your cervical spine. That is wear and tear problem. Just like how cars and other instruments have wear and tear over age, your spine also has developed some degeneration

Because of this you have got few problems
1. There is a joint called Uncovertebral Joint. This joint on Right Side between third cervical vertebra and fourth cervical vertebra has now become larger in size.
2. Intervertebral Discs are the ones which are present between vertebra. The one which is present between third vertebrae and the fourth vertebra has now slipped a bit inside the spinal canal

(Spinal Canal is the place where we have spinal cord)
(Foramen is the space where the nerve roots go)

Because of these two problems
There is a narrowing of spinal canal
There is a narrowing of Foramen

Hence
The Spinal Cord as well as Nerve Root are compressed. Please see this image for more understanding http://www.premierespineandsport.com/Images/Conditions%20Images/Cervical%20herniation.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZc52IjRUHHZynxdQ0tQUPQpX3iAK5qlCi2W-vd7wRXCq6q_YY

In Short
Your Spinal Cord and Your Nerve Root are compressed and we need to treat them

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 29 hours later
Thank you for your answer. What is or are the treatments? Also, there is a discovery at C4-5: Disc osteophyte complex to the right is noted with cord indentation on the right and asymmetric central canal stenosis suggested. There is mild right neural foraminal narrowing greater than left. Susceptibility artifact limits assessment. Also, on C6-7 there is a 3 mm disc osteophyte complex noted with central canal stenosis and moderate neural foraminal narrowing.
My symptoms that caused me to worry is tringling from just above the elbow down to the fingers and pain in the upper part of back of the arm and tingling in the neck. I just want to be prepared when I see my doctor so I know what he is saying.

Thank you again for being so thorough.
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me answer your questions one by one

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Q1 :
What is or are the treatments?
A1 :
Treatment is Surgery. We have to decompress or remove the compression so that the nerves are not obstructed. Once the compression is removed, the nerves will be functioning well

Q2:
Also, there is a discovery at C4-5: Disc osteophyte complex to the right is noted with cord indentation on the right and asymmetric central canal stenosis suggested. There is mild right neural foraminal narrowing greater than left. Susceptibility artifact limits assessment. Also, on C6-7 there is a 3 mm disc osteophyte complex noted with central canal stenosis and moderate neural foraminal narrowing.
A2:
All these denote that surgery is needed

Q3:
My symptoms that caused me to worry is tringling from just above the elbow down to the fingers and pain in the upper part of back of the arm and tingling in the neck.
A3:
These are all due to the compression of nerves

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery

-oOo-

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 1 hour later
You have answered all my questions. Thank you for being so specific, I really appreciate it. I will write you if I have any other questions.
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,
You are welcome.
In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Take Care