What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have been off of here for a while but am thinking about going to get bloodwork done again to see if any of these numbers have changed. I have been having spells of dizziness and left arm pain and seen numerous doctors, including a cardiologist and neurologist, ER doctors, etc. My blood work has come back normal numerous times, but this time a few of my numbers are out of range and I am concerned. I have had EKGs, blood work, CT angiogram, brain MRI. My doctor said everything is fine. The three numbers that are out of range are listed below and they are very different from previous measures that were in the normal range.

B/CRE – low – 24 (reference range 6-22)

MCHC – Low -31 (RR 32-36)

RDW – Low – 11.5 (RR 11.7-15)
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low MCHC indicated anemia, entire report is required for definitive opinion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
The parameters- MCHC and RDW are red cell indices and a part of blood work up.
However, they can be interpreted when all other blood parameters- hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, MCH and red blood count are also given.
In general low MCHC are seen in anemia.
Regarding your first investigation - B/CRE, this investigation is not clear.
Please post the entire report for interpretation. There is a feature to upload reports here on this page. You may upload a scanned image of the report.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad